Erlend W Nier
Dr Erlend W. Nier is a Senior Financial Sector Expert with the IMF’s Monetary and Capital Markets Department. In his position with the IMF, Erlend Nier covers monetary policy and financial stability, including the implications of the financial crisis for public policy.
Prior to joining the IMF he was Research Manager with the Bank of England’s Financial Stability Directorate, leading research and policy work in areas such as bank transparency and market discipline, the ‘procyclicality’ of capital requirements under Basel II, liquidity and liquidity regulation, and public policy in clearing and settlement systems.
Erlend Nier has published his research work in official publications as well as a number of academic journals, including the Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, the Journal of Financial Intermediation, the Journal of Banking and Finance and the Journal of Financial Stability. He is a co-editor and author of a book on the The Economics of Large-value Payments and Settlement, published by Oxford University Press. Erlend Nier holds a PhD from the London School of Economics.
Articles by Erlend W Nier:
The global financial crisis: What caused the build-up?
25 March 2012, 12502 reads
The need for special resolution regimes for financial institutions
7 January 2010, 9533 reads
Reichlin, Turner, Woodford
- Fiscal consolidation: At what speed?Blanchard, Leigh
- Public debt and economic growth, one more timePanizza, Presbitero
- Escaping liquidity traps: Lessons from the UK’s 1930s escapeCrafts
- The lessons of the North Atlantic crisis for economic theory and policyStiglitz
- Rethinking macroeconomic policyBlanchard
- A tale of two depressions: What do the new data tell us? February 2010 updateEichengreen, O’Rourke
- Educated in America: College graduates and high school dropoutsHeckman, LaFontaine
- Eurozone breakup would trigger the mother of all financial crisesEichengreen
- Debt, deleveraging, and the liquidity trap: A new modelKrugman
- Panic-driven austerity in the Eurozone and its implicationsDe Grauwe, Ji
Steil, 29 April 2013