Foreign businesses are increasingly realising that China has antitrust laws, and is not shy about using them. The Glencore/Xstrata merger in the spring was cleared only with conditions imposed by the Chinese Ministry of Commerce. In August, the Chinese National Development and Reform Commission imposed a record €82 million fine on milk powder producers for a price-fixing conspiracy.
The dragon awakes: Is Chinese competition policy a cause for concern?
Mario Mariniello, 9 November 2013
The antitrust concerns of partial horizontal acquisitions
Duarte Brito, Ricardo Ribeiro, Helder Vasconcelos, 28 September 2013
Over the past two decades, private equity “has become a vastly more sizable and influential part of the economic landscape” (Lerner et al. 2012).
How to measure the effectiveness of US merger policy
Dennis W. Carlton, 26 March 2009
Despite the frequent disputes about whether antitrust policy is too lax or too stringent towards mergers and the importance of mergers to the US economy, US policymakers lack any systematic quantitative study of the effectiveness of US merger policy. Instead, policymakers rely on the qualitative assessment of scholars and experienced practitioners.
- A tale of two depressions: What do the new data tell us? February 2010 updateEichengreen, O’Rourke
- The ECB’s stealth bailoutSinn
- Educated in America: College graduates and high school dropoutsHeckman, LaFontaine
- Eurozone breakup would trigger the mother of all financial crisesEichengreen
- Panic-driven austerity in the Eurozone and its implicationsDe Grauwe, Ji
Adelman, 28 October 2013
Reichlin, Giugliano, 7 November 2013
Holmes, McGrattan, Prescott
Beck, De Haas, Ongena
CEPR Policy Research
- The buyer margins of firms' exportsCarballo, Ottaviano, Volpe
- Commodity and Equity Markets: Some Stylized Facts from a Copula ApproachDelatte, Lopez
- Ethnic Unemployment Rates and Frictional MarketsGobillon, Rupert, Wasmer
- Finance and Poverty: Evidence from IndiaAyyagari, Beck, Hoseini
- The Manipulation of Basel Risk-WeightsMariathasan, Merrouche
- What’s wrong with Europe?Baldini, Manasse
- How the EZ crisis is permanently changing EU institutionsMicossi
- WTO 2.0: Global governance of supply-chain tradeBaldwin
- Is US economic growth over? Faltering innovation confronts the six headwindsGordon
- The economic crisis: How to stimulate economies without increasing public debtWood