Academic interest in the role of trade finance has grown in the context of the financial crisis of 2008-09 and the subsequent economic downturn, just as policymakers’ interest was once caught by the Asian financial crisis (IMF 2003).
Why does finance matter for trade? Evidence from new data
Marc Auboin, Martina Engemann, 3 December 2012
Off the cliff and back? Credit conditions and international trade during the global financial crisis
Kalina Manova, Davin Chor, 15 February 2010
The global financial crisis has decimated international trade. What started out as a credit crisis in the US financial sector quickly spilled over into a broader contraction in industrial production and trade for many countries. In all, world trade is expected to have fallen by up to 9% in 2009 (WTO 2009).
Decline and gradual recovery of global trade financing: US and global perspectives
Jesse Mora, William M. Powers, 27 November 2009
The collapse of Lehman Brothers in September 2008 is widely viewed as the spark that triggered the global economic crisis – what has come to be known as the “Great Recession.” Global credit markets froze, and this may have affected the specialised financial instruments – letters of credit and the like – that help grease the gears of international trade finance.
- A tale of two depressions: What do the new data tell us? February 2010 updateEichengreen, O’Rourke
- The ECB’s stealth bailoutSinn
- Educated in America: College graduates and high school dropoutsHeckman, LaFontaine
- Eurozone breakup would trigger the mother of all financial crisesEichengreen
- Panic-driven austerity in the Eurozone and its implicationsDe Grauwe, Ji
Adelman, 28 October 2013
Reichlin, Giugliano, 7 November 2013
Holmes, McGrattan, Prescott
Beck, De Haas, Ongena
CEPR Policy Research
- The buyer margins of firms' exportsCarballo, Ottaviano, Volpe
- Commodity and Equity Markets: Some Stylized Facts from a Copula ApproachDelatte, Lopez
- Ethnic Unemployment Rates and Frictional MarketsGobillon, Rupert, Wasmer
- Finance and Poverty: Evidence from IndiaAyyagari, Beck, Hoseini
- The Manipulation of Basel Risk-WeightsMariathasan, Merrouche