Inflation targeting has served countries in Latin America well . They have achieved macroeconomic stability by reducing inflation and the pass-through of external shocks such as oil price and exchange rate fluctuations (cf. Mishkin and Schmidt-Hebbel 2007).
Monetary policy in Latin America: Where are we going?
Christian Daude, 10 December 2012
Capital controls: A meta-analysis approach
Carmen M Reinhart, Kenneth Rogoff, Nicolas Magud, 24 March 2011
Academics, financial-market participants, and policymakers have once again demonstrated an interest in capital controls. In the present context, the discussion has largely focused on emerging markets’ measures to curb capital inflows and/or to skew their composition away from more volatile types of flows – including the carry trade and portfolio flows.
Are capital controls effective?
Eduardo Levy Yeyati, 20 January 2011
“Not only are they ineffective but, in addition, they raise domestic interest rates.” This type of internally inconsistent commentary is not unusual when discussing capital controls – a subject marked with strong beliefs and weak data.
Incentive effects of unemployment insurance savings accounts: Evidence from Chile
Gonzalo Reyes, Jan van Ours, Milan Vodopivec, 9 February 2010
Unemployment insurance offers financial compensation to workers for income loss due to unemployment – providing they satisfy certain requirements. While such programmes usually provide solid protection against the hardship of job loss, the evidence shows that this protection is typically produced at a cost of increased disincentives to work.
- A tale of two depressions: What do the new data tell us? February 2010 updateEichengreen, O’Rourke
- The ECB’s stealth bailoutSinn
- Educated in America: College graduates and high school dropoutsHeckman, LaFontaine
- Eurozone breakup would trigger the mother of all financial crisesEichengreen
- Panic-driven austerity in the Eurozone and its implicationsDe Grauwe, Ji
Adelman, 28 October 2013
Reichlin, Giugliano, 7 November 2013
Holmes, McGrattan, Prescott
Beck, De Haas, Ongena
CEPR Policy Research
- The buyer margins of firms' exportsCarballo, Ottaviano, Volpe
- Commodity and Equity Markets: Some Stylized Facts from a Copula ApproachDelatte, Lopez
- Ethnic Unemployment Rates and Frictional MarketsGobillon, Rupert, Wasmer
- Finance and Poverty: Evidence from IndiaAyyagari, Beck, Hoseini
- The Manipulation of Basel Risk-WeightsMariathasan, Merrouche
- What’s wrong with Europe?Baldini, Manasse
- How the EZ crisis is permanently changing EU institutionsMicossi
- WTO 2.0: Global governance of supply-chain tradeBaldwin
- Is US economic growth over? Faltering innovation confronts the six headwindsGordon
- The economic crisis: How to stimulate economies without increasing public debtWood