Recently, I was asked by the organisers of the IIASA conference1 to mark the 20th anniversary of the beginning of economic reforms in Eastern Europe and former Soviet Union to comment on the lessons of transition.
Seven things I learned about transition from communism
Andrei Shleifer, 5 February 2012
Political protest and economic reform: Lessons from The Great Transition
László Bruszt, Jan Fidrmuc, Nauro F Campos, Gérard Roland, 7 May 2010
Throughout the 1990s, two opposing views were put forward about the political conditions that are conducive to the success of economic reforms.
- A tale of two depressions: What do the new data tell us? February 2010 updateEichengreen, O’Rourke
- The ECB’s stealth bailoutSinn
- Educated in America: College graduates and high school dropoutsHeckman, LaFontaine
- Eurozone breakup would trigger the mother of all financial crisesEichengreen
- Panic-driven austerity in the Eurozone and its implicationsDe Grauwe, Ji
Claessens, 18 April 2014
Campos, Coricelli, Moretti
Ostry, Berg, Tsangarides